Practicing law since 1981, Ernest P. “Rusty” Gates, Jr. possesses extensive experience as a trial and business attorney. As a member of CowanGates’ litigation team, he practices criminal, personal injury and family law. His work also includes traffic law relating to traffic violations, automobile accidents and injuries. His business law practice focuses on estate planning and commercial and residential real estate.
In 2000, Virginia Lawyers Weekly recognized his trial work by naming one of his cases among the “Most Important Decisions” when he served as the lead attorney for Sensabaugh v. Gateway.
Rusty received his bachelor of arts degree from Hampden-Sydney College in 1976 and earned his law degree from the T. C. Williams School of Law of the University of Richmond in 1981.
A Chesterfield native, Rusty is an active member of the Virginia State Bar, Chesterfield County Bar Association, Powhatan Bar Association and Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.
Ernest P. “Rusty” Gates, Jr. – Criminal Law
- Areas of Practice:
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- Family Law
- Traffic Law
- Commercial and Residential Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Hampden-Sydney College, 1976
- Honors and Awards:
- Recognized by The American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys as one of the “10 Best” Attorneys for the State of Virginia
- Named to The National Trial Lawyers list of Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Selected by the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys for the prestigious Top 10 Attorney Award for the state of Virginia for 2016-2017
- Recipient of the William Blandford Community Service Award, presented by the Powhatan Bar Association
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Virginia Bar Association, Member
- Chesterfield County Bar Association, Member
- Powhatan Bar Association, Member and Former President
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce, Member