Julia A. Childrey is a family law associate at CowanGates. Her practice is concentrated in the litigation of divorce, custody, and child support cases. Julia’s interest into family law began when she served as a law clerk to the Richmond Juvenile and Domestic District Court. She is currently pursuing her Guardian ad litem certification to represent children.
- A native of Richmond, Julia remained in the area for law school and attended the T.C. Williams School of Law of the University of Richmond. During her time there, Julia was an active competitor in the Jessup International Moot Court competition and served on the Moot Court Board. Julia’s last year of law school afforded her the opportunity to put her courtroom skills to real practice when she was accepted into the Children’s Defense Clinic. In the clinic, Julia represented children charged with various offenses and focused on finding alternative dispositions to best serve each individual child.
Julia obtained her bachelor of arts from Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Virginia. Majoring in both Political Science and French, Julia also minored in history and graduated in just three years. Julia was the only French major to graduate with her class in 2009.
Involvement in the community and giving back is something Julia takes seriously. She works with Hanover Safe Place, a local shelter, to aid victims of domestic violence as they navigate the legal system. Julia is also a longtime horse owner and rider, and she enjoys the intersection of law and horses. In the past few years, Julia has spoken out on equine liability concerns by presenting at the 2014 Equine Law Seminar sponsored by the National Business Institute, as well as being a guest speaker at the 2013 Virginia Arabian Horse Association year end banquet. Her articles about liability and concerns of horse owners can also be read in the Virginia Horse and Livestock Trader.
Julia discusses Family Law
Julia discusses Equine Law
- Bar & Court Admissions:
- Virginia, 2012
- U.S. Federal District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2013
- U.S. Federal Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2013
- Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, Virginia, 2009
- B.A., Political Science and French; History
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: Presidential Scholarship
- Honors: Mathilde de Brylkline Prize