David Gates is a statewide trial attorney who was admitted to the Virginia State Bar in 1982. His practice includes criminal defense, personal injury, and insurance defense — 75 percent of his practice is devoted to civil litigation. David has a track record of successful experience handling criminal cases involving DUI, theft, petty larceny, breaking and entering, assault and battery, and minor drug cases.
He received his B.S. degree from Hampden-Sydney College and his J.D. from the T.C. Williams School of Law of the University of Richmond. Aside from handling trial work, David and his wife, Mary Kay Gates live in Farmville, where they attend Johns Memorial Episcopal Church and sponsor Ducks Unlimited — as he’s an avid hunter and angler.
In addition, David is a member of the Huguenot Trail Rotary Club in Midlothian, the Farmville Chamber of Commerce, the Chesterfield County Bar Association, and the Criminal Section of the Virginia State Bar.
“Several years ago, I was asked to testify at a trial for a friend. This was not the daunting, intimidating experience I expected. When I first met with the attorney, he was affable, even laid back. During the court case, I was further surprised by the savvy and competence he showed. I believed this to be a powerful combination and filed it under: “If I ever need an attorney…” This was David Gates of CowanGates. Three years ago, I was involved in a car accident. A few weeks after it happened, I met with David Gates, mostly to get the other insurance company off my back. I have always been healthy and active and thought myself to be on the mend. I had a c-spine surgery last February and while the surgery went well, daily life is still a struggle and there are many “take for granted” things I have done for the last time. After several stress-filled months, I am happy to say that my case was settled without a trial. As a plaintiff this time, I also saw a man who is a good leader with a strong, cohesive team. I am grateful for the compassion his staff has extended to me during this time. From Janice’s courtesy to Beate’s tenacity, I have always been in good hands. I would happily refer others to this law firm based on my own experience.”
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Civil Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Family Law
- Virginia, 1982
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1982
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1982
University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- Virginia State Bar Association, Criminal Law Section
- Johns Memorial Episcopal Church, Farmville Member & Trustee
- Huguenot Trail Rotary Club, Member
- Farmville Ducks Unlimited, Committee Member
- Providence Forge Hunting & Fishing Club, Member
- James River Smallmouth Club, Member
- Chesterfield County Bar Association, Member
- Farmville Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Hampden-Sydney College Alumni Association, Member
- RA – Huguenot Society of the Founders of Manakin in the Colony of Virginia