Virginia Lawyers Media, the publisher of Virginia Lawyers Weekly, has announced the 2019 class of “Leaders in the Law.”
Now in its 14th year, this awards program recognizes the lawyers across the commonwealth who are setting the standard for other Virginia lawyers. “Leaders” are recognized for changing the law, serving the community, changing practice or improving Virginia’s justice system, among other accomplishments.
And, new this year, Virginia Lawyers Media will be naming “In-House Leaders in the Law” as a separate category. This honor recognizing leading lawyers who work in-house or as corporate counsel for a Virginia company.
The Class of 2019 “Leaders in the Law” are:
- Phillip V. Anderson, Frith, Anderson + Peake, Roanoke
- Renu M. Brennan, Virginia State Bar, Richmond
- Elliott M. Buckner, Breit Cantor Grana Buckner, Richmond
- John M. Cooper, Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, Norfolk
- John G. “Chip” Dicks, Gentry Locke, Richmond
- Ronald S. Evans, Barnes & Diehl, Richmond
- William E. Franczek, Vandeventer Black, Norfolk
- Melanie A. Friend, CowanGates, Richmond
- Daniel Frith III, Frith Ellerman Dacis, Roanoke
- Rebecca Geller, The Geller Law Group, Fairfax
- Mark K. Groves, Glasser and Glasser, Norfolk
- Claire Guthrie Gastanega, ACLU of Virginia, Richmond
- Elizabeth Hanes, Consumer Litigation Associates, Richmond
- Monroe “Mike” Kelly, Williams Mullen, Virginia Beach
- Jason W. Konvicka, Allen Allen Allen & Allen, Richmond
- Anne C. Lahren, Pender & Coward, Virginia Beach
- Christie A. Leary, Leary Porter Law, Fairfax
- Deborah G. Matthews, Law Office of Deborah G. Matthews, Alexandria
- John B. Mumford Jr., Hancock Daniel & Johnson, Richmond
- Paul F. Nichols, Nichols Zauzig Sandler, Woodbridge
- Eric M. Page, Eckert Seamans, Cherin & Mellott, Richmond
- Jayne A. Pemberton, Chesterfield County J&DR Court, Chesterfield
- Brian R. Pitney, Sands Anderson, Richmond
- Christine L. Poarch, Poarch Law Firm, Roanoke
- Michael W. Robinson, Venable, Tysons Corner
- Glen H. Sturtevant Jr., The Rawls Law Group, Richmond
- Lorrie Sinclair Taylor, Biberaj, Snow & Sinclair, Leesburg
- Tracy Walker, McGuireWoods, Richmond
- Kathleen Grace Walsh, Law Office of Kathleen Grace Walsh, Occoquan
- Jeremy P. White, Virginia Legal Aid Society, Lynchburg
The members of the inaugural class of “In-House Leaders in the Law” are:
- Joseph H. Carpenter IV, Norfolk Southern Corporation, Norfolk
- Adam Casagrande, ADS Inc., Virginia Beach
- Andrea Z. Warmbier, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton
These honorees, along with the “Up & Coming Lawyers” Class of 2019, will be celebrated at a reception on Oct. 22 at the John Marshall Hotel in Richmond.
The “Leader of the Year,” voted by the 2019 “Leaders” themselves, will be announced at this reception.
Each honoree also will be profiled in a special supplement that will be distributed at the event and inserted into Virginia Lawyers Weekly in October.